Harlequin Shrimp and Starfish

Does anyone else have a Harlequin shrimp? Is there anything else you can feed them besides starfish? It’s getting expensive, and it’s a little grim. I rather like starfish. I’d have some live ones if I could keep them from dying, and Harley didn’t eat them of course. I’d have to have a separate tank. I hadn’t intended to start a new project, but now I find myself suddenly wanting to make a starfish habitat. Perhaps I could put some urchins in there too. Anyone know how to keep them alive?

I don’t know how you can feed starfish to shrimp. I like them too, and I would feel wrong whenever I had to do it. I like the idea of a starfish tank, as long as you’re not just breeding them to feed the harlequin shrimp. I think the hardest part with starfish is moving them from one tank to another. If you make them live long enough to breed then you won;t have to worry about that because you won’t be moving them. I also heard some are hardier than others. Good luck!

I can understand the desire to be thematic, but I would definitely avoid Harlequin Shrimps. However, if you absolutely have to have them, because of the name, then breeding starfish to feed them with isn’t such a bad idea. Jen’s right about the problem with starfish is moving them. Serpent stars are the hardiest, but you’ll have to feed them to the Harlequins before they get huge. You may even need to get more Harlequin shrimp to keep up! Having said that, it would save you a lot of hassle to give up on the project and stick to Clownfish.

I got starfish when I was just starting out. The only one that made it was the serpent star. I still have it. I had to move it to a bigger tank because it just kept growing. That thing’s tough. I don’t know what to do with it to be honest. I still have no idea how to take care of other starfish. I’ve tried a few times but still had no success. If any other reefers have any starfish care tips I would appreciate it. Maybe I should make this a separate thread?