Clams. What do I need to know?

I’m quite pleased with my tank, but I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a clam or two. I’ve never had one before but they look awesome. Before I get one I’d like to hear from other reefers that already have clams so I can get a better idea what sort of issues I may have to deal with if I get one. I know from experience that just getting the one I think is prettiest, without doing my research first is a recipe for disaster. Is there anything I need to add to the tank or refugium to take care of the clam, and does it depend on which clam I pick?

Clams are awesome. I have a couple. One of them is sitting in the substrate, the other is stuck to the rocks. They’re in two different tanks. They’re like a natural living filtration system, and they look awesome. It doesn’t really matter what type you get. Make sure you get a healthy one that still has it’s ‘foot’ if you can help it. Do you have an aquarium supplier nearby? You don’t know what you’re going to get if you order online. It’s better to have a look at them and see which one you want in person.